Photographer Gregg Segal embarked on a journey to find out what do children eat around the world. It’ll be surprising to see that some kids seem to enjoy carbohydrate-heavy meals and fast food while others stick really close to nature.
Gregg visited 9 countries in this project and documented what he’s captured in his book called ‘Daily Bread: What Kids Eat Around the World’. He’s also previewed 25 of them on his site, greggsegal.com.
1. Kawakanih Yawalapiti, 9 years old, from Brazil. The only child raised speaking Arawaki, a native language only spoken by 7 people.
2. Anchal Sahani, 10 years old, from Mumbai, India. She lives in poverty and dreams to be a teacher one day.
3. Davi Ribeiro De Jesus, 12 years old from Brasilia, Brazil. He lives in the slum, goes to the church twice a week, owns 5 strays and dreams to be a cop because it’s better than a thief.
4. Ademilson Francisco Dos Santos, 11 years old, also from Brasil, Goiás. He helps dad with farming and loves mangoes. He hates hot dog.
5. Meissa Ndiaye, 11 years old from Dakar, Senegal. He loves sports car and wishes his family can move to France to earn more money.
6. Hank Segal, 8 years old from California in Altadena. He thinks he’s partly dog because of his sense of smell and love 80s music.
7. Beryl Oh Jynn, an 8-year-old from Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia. She loves spaghetti carbonara and is now allowed sodas.
8. Sira Cissokho, an 11-year-old from Dakar. She’d love to send her parents on a trip to Mecca and cherishes a bracelet her late grandfather passed down to her.
9. Rosalie Durand is 10 from Nice, France. She wants to be an interior designer and loves kickboxing.
10. Adveeta Venkatesh is 10 from Mumbai, India. She’s a vegetarian who also wants to be a veterinarian.
11. June Grosser, 8, from Hamburg, Germany. She is not allowed a dog, but thinks she can bribe her mom once she’s earned enough money.
12. Leona “Nona” Del Grosso Sands, 6, from Glendale, California. She lives with only her mom and cat, Cleo. She once cooked oatmeal for her sick mom.
13. Andrea Testa, 9, from Catania, Italy. He hates cauliflower and would love to have a dog and become a doctor because doctors earn a lot of money.
14. Yusuf Abdullah Al Muhairi, 9, from Dubai, United Arab Emirates. He can make scrambled eggs and toast on his own.
15. Tharkish Sri Ganesh And Mierra Sri Varrsha are 10 and 8 from Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia. She wants to be a doctor and he wants to be an IT engineer
16. Siti Khaliesah Nataliea Muhamad Khairizal, a 9-year-old from Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia. Enjoys spaghetti carbonara and wants to buy an iPad.
17. Greta Moeller, 7, from Hamburg, Germany. She loves fish sticks with mashed potatoes and hate rice pudding.
18. Frank Fadel Agbomenou, 8 from Dakar, Senegal. He eats everything and especially loves fish. He dreams to travel to Paris and become a gynecologist.
19. Isaiah Dedrick, 16 years old, from Long Beach, California. He goes on a diet after the photoshoot and wishes no one will ever go hungry in the world.
20. Cooper Normal, 10 years old, from Altadena, California. He has excellent table manner and is willing to eat anything.
21. John Hintze, 7 years old from Hamburg, Germany. He dreams to be an underwater archaeologist.
22. Alexandra and Jessica, 9 and 8, from Altadena, California.
23. Paolo Mendolaro, 9 from Belpaso, Sicily. He loves pizza the most and learns to make his own pizzas.
24. Henrico Valias Sant`anna De Souza Dantas, 10 years old, from Brasilia, Brazil. He’s a Star Wars fan and is perfectly content with life.
25. Daria Joy Cullen, 6, from Pasadena, California. She’d like to be a dog trainer.